Thursday, November 27, 2008

Conversation over Coffee - Johnson Interview Debrief

The title says it all.

Initially I was very apprehensive and in knots. I have practically ziltch interview experiences. And the practice I had 4 days before D-Day totally freaked me out.

But as soon as I reached the venue and the alum waiting for me got up, waved his hand and welcomed me with a big smile -things changed. Its these small gestures that matter a lot. I immediately relaxed and felt comfortable. While we placed our order we discussed my current work and his. There seemed to be a lot of similarities that got me animated and him more interested. We then began with my education ..which then led to my family background and then got back to my work. He took a lot of interest in some of my experiences and most of our conversation centered round it. One question that we kept on playing ping pong with was Why MBA? I gave my reasons..he tried to reason with me..I again reiterated and gave more examples/instances...reasons being the same. All this while I never was explicitly asked Why Cornell. And it so happened that the answer to this blended well with Why MBA, so I spoke a lot about what made me decide on Cornell and what I'd gain from MBA at Cornell. One common question that seems to be doing the rounds for international students esp. is funding the MBA. I too was asked that.I was asked about what my peers/friends would say about me and some examples to illustrate the same..Soon 90 mins were up..we never got to leadership exp., team work, what other schools u applying to, etc..but i am guessing being a good interviewer he must have got his answers already.. As we parted I came back with a lot of confidence in my self.. some good information on Cornell and work happening in my industry and renewed vigor to realise my dreams.

I can't say what the outcome will be. What I can say from my experience is that if you have the passion, if you are clear about your goals, if you are honest and just be yourself...you'll enjoy the experience like I did.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a super interview.

Anonymous said...

awesome hai ...

MBAlmighty said...

Hey your experience sounds pretty good! And the last point you made makes a lot of sense frankly.

BTW where did you interview? City? And was this in a regular restaurant or at a more formal place?

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the interview. Sounds like you were comfortable and yourself, which can only be a positive! I look forward to hearing about your Ross interview experience.
Best,
Matt

mba musings said...

@Ahembeea & AS -Fingers crossed!!!

@ MBAAlmighty Thanks! the interview was in a formal place

@ Matt - Ross coming up real soon!!! hope its a happy post !

Anonymous said...

Students should not attempt the MBA entrance test overnight. The competition is among the best candidates and requires meticulous and long term preparation before starting the MBA admission process.

MBA Admission 2012 said...

MBA admission tests such as the GMAT cover various areas and therefore need constant practice to maintain high accuracy.

roshnivahora said...

These skills prepare the candidates to handle real time situations and find quick resolution to problems.
MAT MBA Colleges