Thursday, March 13, 2008

I Need Answers ... and I Need them NOW

I'm back after a loooonngg hiatus still clueless...still tossing and turning....still apprehensive....still excited.....still confident...still wavering....stillllllllllllllll



Ok enough of my crap..i need answers to questions that have been gnawing at me for a long long time...


  • Do Tom Dick Harry exist in the good business programs or are all admits extraordinary - exemplified like The Class of 2009, for example, includes a Scrabble master, a Purple Heart recipient, a fixed-wing glider pilot, a lobster-eating champion, a policy advisor in the Bush White House, an inventor with a patent for the "Compact Dual Cyclone Combustor," a former university mascot, and a novelist---@ Yale SOM

  • How do you bridge the gap between "Is school XYZ the best fit for me as the person I am, for my personal growth, for my career goals and aspirations" and "Am I the kind of candidate school XYZ is looking out for ".....

  • Visiting the school, talking to the current students, soaking in the atmosphere and "a day@school" would partly answer my prev question I guess , but wht if one does not have the chance to do so? what's the next best thing???

1 comment:

JulyDream said...

I do believe that all candidates are extraordinary in their own right, but no, they're not all Scrabble masters and Purple Heart recipients. Though I have felt impressed as I meet my future classmates and wonder, how did I get in!? I know it can't all be luck. ;)

To answer the combination of your next two questions - try and contact current students as well as alumni. Attend receptions to learn more about the program, even if you've done your homework. You might find something you like or nothing at all, but you get a chance to either get excited or realize the program isn't for you. Many schools have ambassadors whom you may contact - Darden actually has alumni ambassadors as well. Don't just talk about school however, remember to try to meet the person because hopefully, these are the type of people with whom you'll be in a class. If you don't like the people, the program is not a fit and I don't care if US and News says it's number 1. It's happened to me before.

Hope that helps!